Ten Commandments for feeding Cattle
- Plant green feed, include green feed in the straw ration (leaves and banana trunks)
- Feed as much as the animal can eat (both straw and green feed)
- Mineral feeding is essential. Do Not forget to feed common salt and water
- Concentrate feeding is required according to production level.
- Obtain and treat only good quality straw (dry, clean, no moulds)
- Buy and store enough straw when easily available. Stack the straw well.
- Treat the straw according to the recommendations and keep the stack/clamp airtight to avoid moulds.
- If you do not have enough feed, consider alternatives like silage or selling excess animals, e.g. Young bulls and sick animals.
- Keep the best quality feed for animals with the greatest need (e.g. calves and high producers).
- Always consider the economics, even if production increases it may be at the expense of more costly inputs, which are not always warranted.
Treating Straws with Urea
Table 1: Standard conditions for urea-ammoniation of commonly available cereal straws
|Straw required||Urea needed/100 kg straw (kg)||Quantity of water to be added (Lt)||Minimum time for incubation (days)|
Calving Index For Cows
Date of Service
Note:- The number of days added to both dates will give the expected delivery date e.g. date of service is 10th January, expected delivery date would be 17th October